Read The Book Online!
Click the links below to jump to various excerpts from Dr.
Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Most of the excerpts are
more than one page in length and are filled with interesting facts and
important knowledge from Dr. Bernstein. Enjoy!
Foreword by Frank Vinicor, M.D., M.P.H.
Preface to the Revised and Updated Edition
- My Life with Diabetes: 64 Years
- In this chapter, Dr. Bernstein tells the remarkable story of his
life, including his self-discovered technique for controlling his
blood sugars, recovery from over a half-dozen common diabetes-related
conditions, and the conflict he encountered with the medical community
which still doesn't believe it's possible.
- Before & After: 14
Patients Share Their Experiences
- Much of it in their own words, 14 of Dr. Bernstein's patients tell
the stories of their lives before trying his solution and the life-changing
results they experienced as a result.
- P A R T O N E
Before You Start
- Chap. 1: Diabetes: The Basics
- Diabetes 101, including the difference between Type I and Type II
diabetes. As a Type I diabetic himself, Dr. Bernstein offers personal
Chap. 2: Tests: A Baseline Measure of Your Disease
and Risk Profile
Chap. 3: Your Diabetic Tool Kit: Supplies You Will
Need and Where to Get Them
Chap. 4: How and When to Measure Blood Sugar
Chap. 5: Recording Blood Sugar Data: Using the GLUCOGRAF
II Data Sheet
Chap. 6: Strange Biology: Phenomena Peculiar to Diabetes
That Can Affect Blood Sugar
- Chap. 7: The Laws of Small
- Important physiologic and practical reasons why conventional attempts
at blood sugar control just don't work.
Chap. 8: Establishing a Treatement Plan: The Basic
Treatment Plans and How We Structure Them
- P A R T T W O
- Chap. 9: The Basic Food Groups,
or Much of What You've Been Taught About Diet is Probably Wrong
- Dr. Bernstein's reduces the complex "food pyramid" to
three food groups, and warns how damaging the typical American diet
can be to diabetics and nondiabetics alike.
- Chap. 10: Diet Guidelines:
Basic Treatment for All Diabetics
- Prepare for some big surprises about the foods we've come to believe
were really "sugar-free" and learn which types of foods
Dr. Bernstein advocates in his diet plan for diabetics.
Chap. 11: Creating a Customized Meal Plan
- Chap. 12: Weight Loss--If
- Scientific insight about why people become overweight, plus methods
for you to lose weight the right way.
Chap. 13: Using Self-Hypnosis to Curb Carbohydrate
Craving or Overeating, and Introducing a Relatively Benign “Miracle”Medication
That Does the Same Thing
- Chap. 14: Using Exercise to Enhance Insulin Sensitivity
- Chap. 15: Oral Insulin-Sensitizing
Agents, Insulin-Mimetic Agents, and Amylin Analog
- If diet and exercise are not adequate to bring your blood sugars
under control, the next level of treatment to consider is oral blood
sugar–lowering medication, commonly known as oral hypoglycemic agents
- Chap. 16. Insulin: The Basics of Self-Injection
Chap. 17. Important Information About Various Insulins
Chap. 18. Simple Insulin Regimens
Chap. 19. Intensive Insulin Regimens
Chap. 20. How to Prevent and Correct Low Blood Sugars
Chap. 21. How to Cope with Dehydration, Dehydrating
Illness, and Infection
Chap. 22. Delayed Stomach-Emptying: Gastroparesis
Chap. 23. Routine Follow-up Visits to Your Physician
Chap 24. What You Can Expect
from Virtually Normal Blood Sugars
P A R T T H R E E
Your Diabetic Cookbook
Chap. 25. Recipes for Low-Carbohydrate Meals
A p p e n d i c e s
- Appendix A: What About the
Widely Advocated Dietary Restrictions on Fat, Protein, and Salt, and
the Current High-Fiber Fad?
- Dr. Bernstein answers with real-world, common-sense scientific analysis
of why certain foods have been stressed as "good" and others
as "bad" by the medical establishment.
- Appendix B: Don’t Permit Hospitalization or Lengthy
Outpatient Procedures to Impair Your Blood Sugar Control
Appendix C: Drugs That May Affect Blood Glucose Levels
Appendix D: Foot Care for Diabetics
- Foot-saving advice for diabetics, including a list of do's and
don'ts to help keep you on your feet for years to come.
- Appendix E: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome