Dr. Bernstein has been a diabetic for 69 years — since the age of twelve. He was trained as a management engineer and had been a business executive most of his life. In 1969, while suffering from a number of the complications of this disease, he desperately sought a a means for normalizing his own blood sugar. He aquired a device used in emergency rooms to measure blood sugars at night when the labs were closed. He then began to measure his blood sugar throughout the day, hoping to find what made it go up and down. This led to the development of “self-monitoring of blood glucose”, a simple procedure that uses one drop of finger tip blood. The technique has since become widely accepted by the medical profession throughout the world.
Dr Bernstein has authored six of the leading books for diabetics who are interested in controlling their blood sugar to prevent the complications of diabetes. The two most recent books, Diabetes Diet, and Diabetes Solution are used by people across the world to help them in their quest to normalize their blood sugars.
Dr. Bernstein’s practice is active and currently accepting a limited number of new patients.
The patients who visit Dr. Bernstein undergo a treatment regiment unlike any other in the world. The intial workup and training of patients begins with a three day intensive intake and training session. Local patients frequently prefer to spread this intake over a number of visits.
- Medical and Dietary History
- Physical examiniation with thorough nuerological workup. Special attention is given to uncovering any undiagnosed complications of diabetes.
- Laboratory tests
- R-R interval study for Autonomie memopathy.
- Custom tailored diet plan and training
- Training in blood sugar self-measurement.
- Training in blood sugar control including use of medications when necessary.
- Training in weight control, and use of new medications for this purpose.
- Training in management of blood sugar and dehydration during illness.
- Training in foot care.
- Prescription of oral blood sugar agents and medications for treating diabetic complications when necessary.
- Workup of erectile dysfunction when desired.
- Exercise training and planning, when appropriate.
- Workup of digestive disorders, caused by uncontrolled diabetes, which may interfere with immaculate blood sugar control.
- Treatment of yeast, urinary tract and fungal skin infections caused by poor diabetic control.
- Workup and treatment of hypothyroidism, frequently associated with diabetes.
- Workup and treatment of Polycysic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) when associated with diabetes
Follow up consultation is provided every few days to weeks either in person or via phone until blood sugar is under control. Once blood sugar targets have been attained brief follow up visits or telephone consultations are scheduled every three months.
Dr. Berstein’s philosophy is unique in that he believes diabetics are entitled to the same blood sugars as non-diabetics
Click here to find out how to contact Dr. Bernstein.
You can download the complete CV for Dr. Bernstein.